My main goal with this blog is to introduce people who have never tried international meals to them and how to make them.

Sure I get sidetracked on this most of the time, but today I’m going back to my roots and it includes a little story.

This is my friend Bobbie and that photo is around 5 years old. This day 5 years ago I spent my one and only Thanksgiving with her.

It was on that trip, not at Thanksgiving, however, that I first enjoyed a forkful of sweet and perfectly spiced pumpkin pie.

Bobbie had attempted her own first pie with canned pumpkin and ready made crust and within two days her dad and I had eaten the pie almost on our own.

So she made another pie, this time wanting to enjoy her ‘hard’ work (Bobbie didn’t have many culinary skills at this point in her life) and again her father and I devoured the second pie as though we hadn’t eaten pie ever.

Bobbie wasn’t impressed and swore she wouldn’t make pumpkin pie again, but our reasoning was that she should feel thankful that we couldn’t bring ourselves to resist the call of the pie.

I was hooked fromt that first and then second mouthful and I couldn’t stop thinking about pie until I had overeaten with pumpkin delight.

I made this for Bobbie, one day I’ll be close enough to share a slice with her.

I made this out of thankfulness for so many things.

Note: If you don’t have time to make the pastry, feel free to buy it as the recipe calls for bought and this time, I didn’t even have a spare hour to make pastry.

Pumpkin Pie
Adapted from Delish.com
Serves 10

Ingredients:
Shortcrust Pastry
Adapted from Jamie's Italy
125g butter
1/2 cup confectioners/icing sugar
Small pinch of salt
2 cups of plain flour
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cold milk or water
Filling
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup pouring cream
2/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions:
To make the pastry, grease a tart dish lightly. Place the butter, sugar and salt in a bowl and cream. Rub in the flour then add the zest, milk and egg yolks. Add the roughly chopped almonds

When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, pour in the milk or water. Mix until its mixed to the point as a ball of dough and then warp in clingfilm and place in the fridge for an hour.

Remove from the fridge, roll out and place in the tart tin. Then placing in the freezer for an hour. Preheat the oven to 180°C/355F and bake the pastry for 12 minutes or until lightly golden.

Remove the base and turn the oven to 220°/425F.

Combine all ingredients for the filling in a bowl and whisk to combine well.

Pour into the warm base and return to the oven to bake for 40 minutes or until golden and no longer jiggly in the center.

Remove and allow to cool.

Serve cool with whipped cream.


Powered by Blogger.