“Sunday is the golden clasp that binds together the volume of the week.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Oh Sunday, how I may love you more then all the others.

Sunday is my day.

I don’t usually make plans with anyone because quite simply I rush from work to see friends to exercising most days of the week that Sunday is for sleeping in with no guilt.

Sunday is where I have the house to myself and I can and do make a slow, fulfilling breakfast.

It’s where I can sit down and watch the only show I actually watch on TV  and I get to create something in the kitchen where I am the only one.

It’s a great day that usually passes quicker then I would like, but at least I have something to show for it.

Here’s a bread I was inspired to come up with when wanting to use some dried dates, and surpisingly, for people who don’t even like dates this bread works.

It’s not too strong a flavor, but spiced just enough for a good, warming combination.

Chai Date Bread
Serves 10

Ingredients:
1 cup dried dates
2 chai tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole clove
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup almond milk

Directions:

Place the dates, tea bags, cinnamon stick, clove and ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon in a heatproof bowl and add in 1 cup of boiling water.

Let sit for 10 minutes until the dates have softened, drain the water through a sift into a saucepan.

Set the dates aside, removing the cinnamon stick, clove and tea bags.

Add the brown sugar into the saucepan and place on medium to high heat until the mixture caramalizes, approximately 2 minutes. Add the dates into the mixture and cook on low for 3 minutes, until the dates are further softened.

Take off the heat, and ensure the dates are smushed as much as possible. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Grease and line a bread tin with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180°/350F.

Sift the flours, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.

Add into the saucepan and mix until well combined.  Add in the almond milk and stir until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Bake for 35 minutes until lightly golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool and serve sliced with a little butter if preferred.


Powered by Blogger.