Have you seen ‘I Love You, Man’?

If not, there is this scene where the two protagonists go to a place with the ‘best fish tacos’ around. Ever since my eyes saw those fish tacos I’ve been wanting them.

That place exists in Venice, California, a location that’s not just down the road from me. So I set about making some of my own, in my usual endeavor of foreign flavors.

I initially thought that it makes sense where fish taco’s heritage lays – Baja California, Mexico. And a little research has turned up that I’m right.

I’ve been down in that jut of land below California and the amount of beaches and bays I got to visit just in the small part of that landscape shows me why fish tacos would come from there, there’s so much more sea then land.

This recipe has been hovering in my special recipe folder for some time and I have to say, it hits the tastebuds just right. Even for a girl who’s from California and used to proper Mexican, this recipe is about as perfect as fish tacos can get.

Fish Tacos
Adapted from Cuisine magazine
Serves 4

Ingredients:
Salsa
4 tomatoes
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
Black Beans
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
340g canned black beans
Fish
1 pound/1/2 kilo fish fillets
1 teaspoon chili flakes
To serve
Guacamole
Sour Cream

Directions:
To prepare the salsa, place all finely chopped ingredients in a bowl and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, Easy right?! Set aside to serve.

For the black beans, place the finely chopped onion, garlic, chili, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper into a saucepan and cook on medium to high heat for approximately two minutes, until well heat through.

Add the black beans and stir on low heat until heated through. This should only take 2 minutes. Set aside to serve.

Preheat a small frying pan with a little oil on low to medium, once hot add the fish, sprinkle over chili and salt and pepper and cook on both sides until slightly brown, approximately 3 minutes.

Continue with the remaining fish fillets until all are cooked.

To serve, place the salsa, black beans, fish, guacamole and sour cream in individual bowls. With the tortillas on a warm plate.

Serve and eat immediately.


Powered by Blogger.