Are you a magazine reader?

I’m a magazine reader.

I always have been too.

From the time I could flick, I would pick up my grandmother’s subscriptions that she would really only buy to complete the crosswords as she ate her breakfast.

There I would hover for a few short moments and look at all the things the editor had ticked off to be published.

Well nowadays with the iPad in tow, magazines are coming alive in a way only digital could succeed, they’re not just pages on a screen or paper between your fingers anymore.

You get videos and little presentations, you get to interact with the publisher and the writers in a method only technology could bring alive.

Magazines have been re-imagined and the beauty is that you can take it anywhere or carry them around with you for as long as you want without having the bulk of holding five magazines.

And that is exactly what I have been doing with this recipe, the moment I saw it, I wanted to eat these cookies and the issue has been there as a reminder each time I open the Donna Hay library within my iPad to say there are cookies in here you want to try.

So I did and of course, I had to share with you.

Chocolate and Peppermint Creams
Adapted from Donna Hay Dec-Jan 2012 Issue
Makes 12

Ingredients:
Chocolate Cookies
150g butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1/4 cup cocoa (preferably Dutch), sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped 
Peppermint Filling
2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Place the butter, sugar and maple syrup in a bowl and beat for 8-10 minutes or until pale, creamy and fluffy. Add the flour, baking soda and cocoa and mix until well combined and a smooth mixture.

Lastly, add the chopped chocolate and stir through until well mixed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to 180°C/355F. When the dough is well chilled, roll 1 tablespoonful into balls and flatten lightly as you place on the baking tray.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the outer edges are lightly browned and the middle is slightly soft, but cracking.

Cool on wire racks as you make the filling. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric beater until smooth.

Spread or pipe the fillings on one biscuit and then sandwich together.

Serve.


2 Comments

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath said...

just the name "chocolate and peppermint creams" has got me drooling! i love flipped through magazines, too, and finding new and interesting ways to use everyday ingredients.

Sylvie said...

Sydney, that's what I love about magazines too, they're good for inspiration!
Oh and definitely try the cookies, they are a double chocolate hit.

Powered by Blogger.