Wow, I did a lot yesterday!

I left the house at 6 a.m. and didn’t return until 11 p.m.

The drive from my best friends place back to my own in the darkness felt like a weird dream involving the highway as sleep tapped at my shoulder.

Most of my day was spent traveling around to different locations with my boss and his ‘entourage’, me being one of those. A thought of being apart of a famous persons entourage and how that would differ from my present entourage experience ran through my mind on one occasion; the conclusion that I would definitely have to have better shoes was made.

Then running to my car to meet my best friend in time to drive an hour and a half away to another city for a photography consult (she is now an official wedding photographer full time, and amazingly talented might I add).

And lastly, enjoying dinner with her and her brother over much rolling laughter (I’m sure we had the loudest booth in the entire restaurant).

I came home and went to sleep dreaming of another slice of this tart, which has been gone for some days.

When I came up with putting these recipes together I knew it would work immediately and I was right!

Rhubarb was always served one way in my house as a child: stewed. We were lucky if it involved custard, but I wanted to try something a little different and add a little zing.


Lemon Custard Rhubarb Tart
Roamingtaste
Serves 10

Ingredients:
Pastry
Adapted from Jamie's Italy
125g butter
1/2 cup confectioners/icing sugar
Small pinch of salt
2 cups of plain flour
1/2 lemon zest
1/2 cup roughly chopped almonds
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cold milk or water

Custard
Adapted from Portuguese Custard

4 Tbsp superfine/caster sugar
4 Tbsp icy-cold water
3 level Tbsp plain flour
175ml milk
3 egg yolks
1 strip lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100ml cream
Topping
4 rhubarb stalks, cut into 2 inch lengths
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:
To make the pastry, grease a tart dish lightly. Place the butter, sugar and salt in a bowl and cream. Rub in the flour then add the zest, milk and egg yolks. Add the roughly chopped almonds

When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, pour in the milk or water. Mix until its mixed to the point as a ball of dough and then warp in clingfilm and place in the fridge for an hour.

Remove from the fridge, roll out and place in the tart tin. Then placing in the freezer for an hour. Preheat the oven to 180°C/355F and bake the pastry for 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, lower the oven to 140°C/285F and prepare the custard by placing the sugar and icy-cold water in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir with a metal spoon to ensure sugar has dissolved, then let bubble for 2 minutes, do not let caramelize.

Set the sugar syrup aside once it has reached the desired consistency.

Place three quarters of the milk into a saucepan with the vanilla extract and lemon rind over a medium heat until bubbling. Do not let boil.

Meanwhile, make a smooth paste with the flour and remaining milk, then add the yolks and mix until combined. Mix in the hot milk, once the paste is smooth enough.

Place the milk mixture over low-to-medium heat, whisking constantly to ensure a smooth consistency. Once thickened to a point where it sticks on the back of the spoon add in the sugar syrup, stirring until well combined. Pour the lemon juice in and once combined add the cream and stir until thickened.

Pour into the warm tart and return to the oven to bake for 20 minutes or slightly golden and cracked on top.

For the rhubarb, place on medium heat in a saucepan with the water and the lid on until simmering and soft, add in half the sugar, stir through and return the lid for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the other half sugar, stirring until most of the water has dissipated and the rhubarb is slightly caramelized, remove from the heat.

Once the tart is finished, pour the caramelized rhubarb over the top and refrigerate for a minimum of an hour or until chilled through.

Serve as is or with whipped cream.


Powered by Blogger.