The small art of borrowing an object, something that you have not obtained outright, but been given to use for a period always differs in results.

I’ve met countless people who refuse to lend anything out to anyone after too many failed changing of the hands.

I’m always a good lender, other then a small object that my brother long ago forgot I borrowed, I always return items. Let us say I’m keeping this object hostage for the betterment of my blog and my brother is actually lovely guy without the use of this.

The reason I’m talking about borrowing is because the images in today’s post are the result of my forgetfulness in packing to stay at a friend’s place and needing to ask kindly for a camera that is better then my iPhone (lets face it, the iPhone is no SLR in camera technology).


In keeping with my Olympic food theme I made a pie that I would assume originates here in New Zealand. Meat pies are one of the main things to be found when stepping foot in a bakery and while the Bacon and Egg filling can vary, carrots and onions are a usual accompaniment to the two star ingredients in this dish.

What do you know, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates, I suppose this wouldn’t be the worst thing someone could eat during training.

Bacon and Egg Pie
Serves 8

Ingredients:
2 sheets pre rolled puff pastry (300g)
1/2 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
½ onion, finely chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
10 small to medium eggs
6 rashers bacon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 150°C/300F.

Take a pie dish and lightly grease. Roll one of the puff pastry sheets out to fit within the dish, ensuring it doesn’t get too thin. Press the pastry into the dish, ensuring 1/4 inch band is overlapping the rim.

Prepare the top and cut to fit, ensuring it has some overlap, set the top aside.

In a bowl crack 6 of the eggs and add the chopped carrot, onion and scallion. Whisk to combine. Add seasoning to taste.

You can either choose to remove the fat off the bacon or not, it really is up to your preference, at this step.

Pour 1/3 of the whisked egg mixture into the pie. Lay on of the bacon rashers on top of the egg. Crack two eggs on top before adding more bacon. Add another 1/3 of the whisked mixture and repeat the previous steps.

You want to make sure that the filling is about 1/2 inch away from the rim as eggs expand when cooking.

Wet the edges of the base and topping sheet and carefully pinch the edges together.

Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Raise the heat to 180°C/350 and cook for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
Serve sliced and with a salad.


Powered by Blogger.