Now please don’t be offended, but I’m not a lover of potatoes. I don’t love to eat them when you know and compare them to sweet potatoes, they are just not as satisfying.

I don’t buy potato chips because quite frankly the thin amount of self control I have with junk food goes out the window and it’s as though I haven’t eaten in a month when they are around.

Sometimes though I make an exception, when I’m craving my mother’s mashed potatoes and she just happens to make them when I visit. Or my friends have potato chips and fresh bread, I can’t ignore the call of chip sandwiches, that’s down right wrong. Or there is onion dip (a New Zealand tradition) sitting there, waiting to be scooped up.

Exceptions can be made and then I am done with potatoes again.

Well I had to make an exception last week, I really didn’t have a choice, curiosity was making it too hard to ignore the call of the potato.

I made an exception and felt no guilt in doing so.

Potato Doughnuts
Adapted from Potato Doughnuts
Makes 24

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2/3 cup superfine/caster sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 3/4 cups flour
5 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup mashed potatoes (2 medium potatoes should equate to a cup of mashed potatoes)
6 cups vegetable oil (dependant on the size of saucepan you use, more may be required)
2 cups confectioners/icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Peel, slice and cook the potatoes in a medium saucepan

In a large bowl place the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine.


In another bowl place the butter and sugar and combine until smooth. Add the eggs and mix. Lastly add the mashed potato and stir through.

Make a well into the dry mixture and pour the liquid mixture in. Combine with a spoon until it is a smooth dough.

Refrigerate for two hours.

Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness.

Cut doughnut shapes into the dough until you have the entire dough cut out.

Place the icing sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.

Set a medium saucepan on high heat with a lid on (the oil splatters as it heats up).

Once it is hot (you will see small bubbles) take a slotted spoon and place one doughnut carefully into the hot oil. Leave to cook for 2 minutes and then turn over to cook the other side.

Remove and place on paper towels to soak some of the oil up before dipping into the confectioner sugar coating.

Repeat the process with the remaining dough.

Serve.


Powered by Blogger.