I went blueberry picking again and some might say I'm a sucker for punishment, but I think I just know how to grab a good opportunity with both hands.

In my current situation of downsizing my possessions, I thought I would make a recipe I’ve never made before from an old cooking magazine, particularly now as I am getting rid of needless things.

And my luck it involves blueberries.
 
Honestly, I can’t even tell you how old the magazine is that I have adapted the recipe from because it was a launch issue. A Donna Hay magazine handed on to me from a treasured friend who knows how much I love to cook.

Making this meant I made a mistake in adding more blueberries then needed, but quite frankly, it's still delicious.

I wanted to make it healthier all around so added a flour I make at home - oat flour and light cane sugar which means this is a quality baking item to make when granola or bought cereal is getting you down at breakfasttime. Two slices of this and I'm not hungry until lunch time or later.
 
Banana and Blueberry Bread
Adapted from Donna Hay Holiday Launch Issue

Ingredients:
2 ripe banana’s, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup light cane sugar
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup oat flour (almond or rice flour would also work)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup blueberries

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 170°C/340F. Place greased paper into a bread tin.


Combine the banana’s, eggs, sugar, milk and oil together.

In a separate bowl sift the plain flour and baking powder before adding the oat flour.  

Mix the flours and wet ingredients together.

Add the spices, and walnuts, making sure the mixture is well combined.

Fold the blueberries in gently so as to ensure they don’t get crushed and then pour into the lined bread tin.

Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Serve as golden toast or warmed.


Powered by Blogger.