I have always considered Pumpkin Soup to be southern hemisphere creation, I mean, Americans don’t eat pumpkin like we do. They carve them into faces or buy them canned to fill the crust of a pie.

And I haven't ever heard of eating pumpkin soup in Europe (although they may in fact do)

I thought I knew reasonably well that it was from a land that needs the hearty warmth of pumpkin in the depths of winter.

I was wrong!



A little research has shown me that pumpkin soup originates from Haiti, yes the island nation in the Caribbean.

I haven’t even set foot on that island and yet it represents the fight for and success of freedom there.

A fruit, disguised as a vegetable to many represents freedom to some on this earth.

To me it represents warmth, comfort and delight and this is my slight twist on the traditional soup.

Curry powder may make you scratch your head, but I can assure you that its enough to compliment the taste of the pumpkin, nothing more.

And of course this soup has to be served with garlic bread in my house.

I won’t tell you how I wiped the bowl clean with garlic bread.

Pumpkin Soup and Garlic Bread
Roamingtaste
Serves 6 

Ingredients:
Soup
1 kilo/2.2 pounds pumpkin
3-4 cups water
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
1/3 cup pouring cream
Garlic Bread
1 bread stick
100 grams butter, softened
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Handful of parsley, finely chopped

Directions:
Peel and chop the pumpkin into large cubes, placing in a saucepan. Add in 1 1/2 cups water, with the lid on set the heat to medium.

Leave to simmer and soften for approximately 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150°C/300F. Slice the bread stick in half and then each half into half inch thickness and set aside on aluminum foil large enough to encompass each half.

Place the butter, crushed garlic cloves and parsley in a bowl and mix until well combined. Spread thickly over thick enough over each slice that you cannot see the bread, but not any thicker.

Place the buttered bread stick halves in the oven and bake until the butter is melted. Approximately 15 minutes.

The pumpkin will be ready to mash when a knife goes right through.

Take off the element and mash or blend until smooth.

Add in the remaining 1 1/2 -2 1/2 cups (depending on how thin you like it), the pouring cream, curry powder and salt and return to a low heat for a another 2 minutes or until well heated through.

Serve with the garlic bread while hot.


Powered by Blogger.