This is what I make to say thank you.

This is what I make to indulge people.

This is what I make to bring a smile to those I serve meals to.

This is what I make to impress people.

This is what I make for those who love chocolate.

This is what I make for those with a sweet tooth.

This is what I make to share.

This is what I make for my couchsurfing hosts.

This is what I make quickly and wait for patiently to perfect itself.

This is something I have made in countless kitchens in countless locations for countless people and each person served has enjoyed it.

This recipe is not my own and I always advise people that this mousse is not perfect because of my ability, but rather due to the effectiveness of the ingredients and the process of mixing them and the timing in leaving the mousse to perfect.

Best Chocolate Mousse
Serves 8

Ingredients:
200g minimum 72% dark chocolate
5 eggs, separated
1/4 cup superfine/caster sugar
1/2 orange zest, finely chopped
200ml pouring cream

Directions:
Place the the chocolate in a double boiler and melt over low heat. You want the chocolate to melt smoothly. Once melted set aside to cool to room temperature.

Place the egg yolks, sugar and orange zest in a bowl in a double boiler and whisk over low heat until thickened and lighter. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, beat the pouring cream until soft peaks.

Mix half the yoke mixture into the chocolate and stir through to combine, the chocolate will become stiffer almost immediately, if not cooled down enough. Add the remaining yoke mixture to the chocolate and continue to combine. Do not fear if the chocolate is stiff due to the combination of the yoke mixture, the mousse will still turn out perfect.

Place the chocolate, yolk mixture into the whipped cream and fold through until well combined. Smooth the chocolate out where necessary when combining. The cream should resemble thickened almost curdled whipped cream.

Lastly, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks and carefully fold the chocolate cream mixture immediately through the egg whites so as not to lose volume. Place into a serving dish and refrigerate.

The recipe I have adapted does not give a refrigeration time period, it even says this can be served immediately. I will ask that you have patience (it may be the only thing I ask of you for some time or all year (no promises)), allowing this to sit in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours or even overnight allows the cool air to infiltrate every square inch of this dish and the fluffiness is what makes this mousse so special.

Serve the fluffy mousse as is or with a little whipped cream on the side.


Powered by Blogger.