Chocolate, it can be solid and hard to break. Come in a shade of brown or white (we all know that's not the real stuff, but I still love it). It can be melted and gooey and go everywhere if you aren't careful.

Chocolate...I don’t think I go a week without indulging in it and I certainly don’t think I could go a month without it.

This has not always been the case though, you see in my teens I went a few years without it.

I simply didn’t feel like it, I would be offered it and kindly turn it down. I would walk past it and not think I need or feel like this.

I would see recipes and not think about actually making them.

I don’t know how or when this changed, but I don’t know if I could or would want to do that again.

My recipe below involves two flavors of chocolate and they go so well together.

I’d love to hear about something you suddenly stopped eating and then began eating again a while later? Did you have a reason or simply because you didn’t feel like it?

Note: If kept in a sealable container the snaps can last for up to a week.

White Chocolate Mousse with Cocoa Snaps
Adapted from Donna Hay Magazine Aug/Sep 2008
Serves 8

Ingredients:
Mousse
90g white chocolate, roughly chopped
3/4 cup pouring cream
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
Cocoa Snaps
30g butter
1/3 cup superfine/caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons glucose/corn syrup
2 tablespoons flour, sifted
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted

Directions:
Place the chocolate in a double boiler and heat over low simmer until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the pouring cream in a bowl and beat until stiff. Fold the cooled chocolate into the stiff cream.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add the caster sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks. Carefully fold the creamed chocolate mixture into the stiff egg whites until well combined.

Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or until set.

While the mousse is setting, prepare the cocoa snaps. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320F and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

Place the butter, sugar and glucose syrup in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Add the sifted cocoa powder and flour and stir until well combined. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.

By this time it will be quite stiff, gather 1/2 teaspoonfuls and stretch slightly with your fingers into long 1/4 thick strands, roll out until thick (do not worry if there is a hole or two in the snaps, this will disappear upon baking). You should be able to fit 4 cocoa snaps approximately 3/4 inch distance from one another.

Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until thin and bubbly.

Remove from the oven and repeat until all snaps are complete.

Allow to fully cool before serving the mousse sandwiched between the snaps or alternatively serve the mousse with shards of the snaps to dip into the mousse.


Powered by Blogger.