It’s been six months since I typed my first words here.

My little blog.

There’s so much more to bake, grill, marinate, mix and be inspired by.

But first; it’s time for a short story.

When I was a little girl, I didn’t understand the difference between half years and full years.

I remember going up to my father in what is one of my earliest memories and saying with zeal and pride ‘I’m four-and-a-half today.’

Then came the bombshell, halves didn’t matter.

Halves weren’t worth as much as full numbers, I remember that day like it was yesterday. He was building a gate that would ineffectively keep my brother and I inside the yard. The height my father still had over me. The innocence in my heart.

Well he’s not here right now so I made cake.

Tiered Chai Cake with Mascarpone Spice Cream
Roamingtaste
Serves 10

Ingredients:
200g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 cupa boiling water
5 chai tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon anise powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Frosting:
200g mascarpone
2 cups confectioners/icing sugar
20g butter
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:
Grease a cake tin and preheat the oven to 180°C/350F.

Place the boiling water in a cup and add the tea bags. Leave to sieve for 10 minutes.

Cream the softened butter and sugar until well combined approximately 2 minutes. Separate the eggs setting the whites aside. Add one egg yoke at a time and cream for approximately a minute after each addition.

Remove the tea bags and set aside. Pour the tea into the butter mixture. Stir through until the mixture resembles curdled butter.

Add the spices, flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir until it is a smooth mixture.

Whip the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.

Pour 1/3 into the greased cake tin and place in the oven for approximately 12 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Set aside to cool for before removing from the tin.

Remove from the tin and repeat with the remaining two thirds.

Once the cakes are cooled, wrap and place in the freezer while you prepare the frosting.

Add the tea bags to a cup and sieve in warm water for 10 minutes until the water has cooled.

Place the butter, mascarpone and half the icing sugar in a bowl. Add the weak tea and mix until well combined. Adding more icing sugar until the mixture is thickened. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to the mixture.

Place one level of the cake on a plate and spread a thick 1/2 inch layer of the mascarpone onto the cake. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and repeat with the next two layers.

Sift some cinnamon over the top, slice and serve.


2 Comments

frenaew said...

This looks so beautiful!!!! And your pictures are so clear on your blog! Good job! So how did this taste?? It looks amazing!!!

Sylvie said...

Awww thanks FuMei. It tastes good! Not too sweet, a little spice and it actually was moist for days (with only two of us eating it it took a little while).

Powered by Blogger.