My best friend (mentioned in an earlier post) simply never stops. She is always working on something for someone and a day off is such a rare thing with her nowadays that our time together is usually for a few short hours once a lucky week.

This was not the case today though, she called me and asked me to make my first tiered cake at her house (that recipe coming later), in order to photograph me for my blog.

Upon arriving she gifted me a set of four unique plates to celebrate the beginning of my blog (so the bestest ever right?).

And above is one of the four uniquely beautiful plates now in my possession.

After our wonderful afternoon of photos, baking and laughter I came home to make what I initially tasted on my first trip to Mississippi.

Despite this originally coming from the creole city of New Orleans (or NoLa as I love to refer to it like a local), the time I spent in the South has shown me just how far this sandwich has traveled out of NoLa as it is such a ‘Southern thing’ now.

I did eventually make it to New Orleans on my second visit to Mississippi, but was too busy looking for Cafe du Monde to eat a Po Boy sandwich (that is a story for another day).

Outside of Jackson, Brandon County, MS
Friend of Friend's Music Studio, Jackson, MS
French Quarter, NoLa
Note: The recipe I adapted asks for Creole Mustard. I personally did not have all the ingredients so added sweet chili sauce for the tang required which also worked fine.


Shrimp Po Boy
Adapted from Closet Cooking blog
Serves 4

Ingredients:
Sandwich
1 large bread stick (firm on the outside, soft in the middle)
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 head lettuce
8 slices provolone/swiss/edam cheese
Shrimp - Creole Spice Blend
1 pound/1/2 kilo shrimp
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
Po Boy Sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika


Directions:
Place the shrimp in a bowl and add all ingredients as well as a large tablespoon olive oil. Mix well and place in a saucepan, cooking on medium heat.
To make the sauce, place all ingredients in a bowl and combine.


Meanwhile, slice the bread stick into 6 inch slices and cut open, adding the tomatoes, lettuce and cheese.

Once the shrimps are cooked through, place on the sandwich and pour the sauce over the top.

This can be eaten warm or cold; either way its delicious.


Powered by Blogger.