I’ve thought about this post for some time.

I started this little blog a year ago with some simple initiatives and the food I’ve made, the things I’ve attempted in a variety of kitchens over the last year has challenged and satisfied me.



I know I haven’t made as many foreign dishes as originally stated, however, my creative mind has led me astray on many occasions, including today.

Some of the people I’ve been introduced to in this food blogging world have stunned me. They’ve humbled me with their talent. And they’re a kind bunch.

For that I’m thankful to the people who have made the time to read my blog and post little comments, each of them appreciated. Each of them making my day better. And each bringing a smile to my face.

For that I have a little giveaway, something from me down here in little old New Zealand to you, your kitchen, wherever that may be.

All I want you to do to win this, is state what your one tip to a new blogger would be by Friday 18 January 2013.

The best one will win this little prize pack.
A colorful tea towel with native plants and birds on it purchased in Wellington.
A recipe book of Pavlova recipes, an original dessert from this part of the world. and
A Handcrafted wooden spoon from Nelson.

Now, I came up with this cake, a symbol of summer because this may be the only anniversary of my blog I have in summer (or not, who really knows) as I have plans afoot (not confirmed yet so will hold those cards close to me).

Berries are a symbol of summer, bright, tiny little things bursting with good vitamins. Lets face it though they taste pretty good too. Combining them with tangy pineapple resulted in love at first bite.

If you like the taste of berries and pineapple, you’ll like this.

Tiered Three Berry Cake with Pineapple Buttercream Frosting
Roamingtaste
Serves 12

Ingredients:
Cake
200g butter, softened
1/2 cup superfine/caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour, + 3/4 cup flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup greek yogurt
120g blueberries, pureed
120g raspberries, mashed to a pulp
120g blackberries, mashed to a pulp
Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from Sweetapolita
5 egg whites
1 cup superfine/caster sugar
300g butter, cubed
1/4 cup pineapple juice
To Finish
1/4 pineapple, mashed

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F and grease a cake pan. Set aside.

In a bowl, place the butter and sugars and whip on medium until well combined and fluffy, approximately 1 minute.

Add in two eggs and beat for a further minute, repeat with the remaining eggs. Add in the yogurt, mix until well combined.

Sift in the flour and baking powder and using a large spoon mix well.

Third the cake batter and add in the pureed blueberries. Mix until well combined with a spoon (this will be the juiciest of batters out of the three), sift in another 1/4 cup flour and mix until well combined.

Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Remove and place on a cooling rack, allow to cool.

Mix the mashed raspberries with the second third of the cake batter until well combined, once again add in 1/4 cup flour and mix well.

Pour into the greased cake tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack.

Repeat for the steps the same for the blackberries, allowing sufficient time for the cake to cool.

To make the frosting, place the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl and place in a double boiler over simmering water, whipping constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the egg whites are fluffy.

Remove from the heat and beat with a mixer until the outside of the bowl has reached room temperature, approximately 10 minutes.

Add in a cube of butter at a time and mix until well combined, continue with the remaining cubes, this will take approximately 5 minutes.

Once all the butter has been well combined, continue beating slowly adding in the pineapple juice.

Place the blueberry layer on a cake base and proceed to spread the frosting evenly and thickly over the cake.

Once complete place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. Remove and continue with the raspberry layer and so on with the blackberry layer.

To finish spread the frosting over the top of the cake and refrigerate once well frosted for a further 30 minutes.

To serve, place the mashed pineapple in the center of the cake and slice.
Lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days, however, it is best served at room temperature.


3 Comments

Erica said...

What a beautiful cake!
My best advice would be to always try and to connect with your readers ; )
www.poolovesboo.com

Nisharavjiphoto said...

What an amazing cake, though I would expect nothing less from you now!!

My advice is blog what you love, don't get swept up in trends - stick to what you know and make sure you seek inspiration on a daily basis to keep the creative juices flowing!

Sylvie said...

Lovely comments so far bloggers

Powered by Blogger.